1) Match the above pictures to where they appear in the poem.
2) What do these images have in common?
3) Why does the poet use them? Consider in terms of appealing to the five senses
4) The poet also uses them because they are symbolic. Match up the symbols to the ideas.
A symbol is an object that represents an idea.
garden birth/new life
mouse Paradise (in Heaven)
the colour black true feelings, loyalty
eagle, peace and purity
7) Think of symbols that can represent these ideas.
6) What do you think the above images could symbolism in the time of Rossetti?